Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Upsize Down

"Sir, for only $.80 more you can make that a footlong."

(Oooh. That's a good deal. I mean, I can get a whole other sandwich for just eighty cents? But, I'm not that hungry and I certainly do not need to eat a footlong. But maybe I'll eat the other pound of trans-fat later when I am studying. However, it does defy the whole "...eat fresh" jingle. Maybe I'll...)

"Sir, would you like to make that a footlong?"

It doesn't matter if it's two ice cream cones for $1, the Biggie Size for only $.49, or the bonus pack of Crest. I can be a sucker for these upsize deals. It goes against all of my Dave Ramsey DNA but sometimes I let the thought of a "deal" overshadow my reason. I end up with too much of something that I really didn't need to begin with.

How is it that I can struggle with whether or not to dole out for the $5 footlong that will only make me feel bloated and regretful but when it comes to Bible study or personal time with God in prayer or meditation I am quick to select from the Value Menu?

"Can I get the $.99 God to Go Pack please?"


"Would you like to upsize that to the full meal deal that comes with family portions of forgiveness, guidance, and love?"


"Oooh, how much more will that cost?"

'No charge to you sir. It's a prepaid deal."

"...I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry. And he who believes in me will never be thirsty." John 6:32ff

No comments:

Post a Comment