Monday, April 6, 2009

Moments

One of my favorite songs is called "Moments" by the band Emerson Drive. The first verse and chorus read:

"I was coming to the end of a long, long walk
When a man crawled out of a cardboard box
Under the E. Street Bridge,
Followed me onto it.
I went out halfway across
With that homeless shadow tagging along
So I dug for some change.
Wouldn't need it anyway.
He took it lookin' just a bit ashamed.
He said, 'You know I haven't always been this way.

I've had my moments, days in the sun.
Moments I was second to none.
Moments when I knew I did what I thought I couldn't do.
Like that plane ride coming home from the war
That summer my son was born.
And memories like a coat so warm
A cold wind can't get through.
Lookin' at me now you might not know it
But I've had my moments.'

'In every person's life, there have been moments, both positive and negative, that have defined and redefined who they are. Those events entered your consciousness with such power that they changed the very core of who and what you thought you were. You were not the same person after that one moment. Although your defining moments may seem trivial to others - you have to remember, if it's shaped you in any way, it's a defining moment.' (Unknown)
Your defining moments are the outlines of your life. Too often we allow sin to be THE defining moment in our life (and the lives of others).

Did God allow sin to be THE defining moment in the history of His creation? No! He put into action a plan to make sure that sin would not have to be THE defining moment in our lives, but rather A defining moment that would reshape us and direct us back toward Him.

Remember, if it has reshaped you in any way it is a defining moment.

Romans 8:1-11

2 comments:

  1. i love this song. it is one of my favorites. and it is so true. and it is somewhat strange how so often the moments that end up shaping your life are usually the ones that you didn't plan for, didn't see coming, and at the time didn't recognize the impact of on your life. "i've had my moments."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and if we will let God use those moments to mature us and form us into the people He wants us to be we will not only become emotionally and spiritually stronger but also make a positive impact on someone else who might face that same "moment." Good comments Alex.

    ReplyDelete