Saturday, September 5, 2009

Son Glasses


Have you ever felt like Thomas? "If I could only see the evidence God then I would believe."

Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord!" But he said to them, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it." John 20:24

When I am on this side of a situation or circumstance that has tested my faith it is easy for me to look on that event and ask, "How could I have doubted or been uncertain?" My faith is much stronger today than it was even three months ago but the daily attention that a growing faith requires is sometimes very challenging to manage.

I have to learn to stop squinting through life. You know, like when a light is shining in your face so bright that you can't fully open your eyes - when you see someone having a physically painful experience - when a circumstance is so hard to watch that we must nearly shut our eyes.

Compare your life to that of the apostles:

  • They stared at a hillside full of thousands of hungry people and asked what they were to do.
  • They were tossed about in a torrential storm and cried out with fear.
  • They saw time and again the power of Jesus revealed in healing and other miracles and still they did not instinctively turn their challenge over to Christ.

I find myself too many times seeking first my own solution to a challenge in life before taking that before my God. As the Casting Crowns song says
Oh what I would do to have the kind of faith it takes to climb out of this boat I'm in, onto the crashing sea. To step out of my comfort zone into the realm of the unknown where Jesus is...
My prayer is that God will open the eyes of my faith to the way He has and does work in my life so that I might be an effective and powerful witness to His love and grace. I have to look at life through the eyes of Jesus.

Put your Son glasses on and open your eyes of faith to a world around you filled with possibilities to do and receive good. Squinting gives you crows feet anyway.

4 comments:

  1. That was excellent. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Shane. Always welcome your response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean, a little different way than I approched it, but interesting. Enjoied it, looking forward to more. Thanks, Aaron

    ReplyDelete