Thursday, January 14, 2010

The W-Zone



I noticed a sign like this one the other day and it got me to thinking.

What did the "w" stand for?  Well, it was obvious in that area that the "w" referred to "work zone."  So, at my present rate of travel and barring no traffic delays I should be cleared of the orange barrels in about 40 minutes...one playlist on my I-Pod.  And then I would be through this messy, inconvenient, and dangerous area of interstate.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a sign in our lives that told us when we would be through the messy, inconvenient, and dangerous areas of our lives;  when the relief would come?  I mean, imagine:
  • "2 months until end of unemployment zone"
  • "3 days until end of sickness zone"
  • "8 hours until end of worry zone"
  • "10 minutes until end of pain zone"
  • "5 weeks until end of ..."
How much easier it would be to endure life's messes and inconveniences.

When I worked in EMS one of the most frequent complaints we received was that we weren't moving fast enough.  Relief was not getting there as quickly as the one in need expected.  No one EVER called to complain that we arrived too soon!

The apostle Paul needed relief from something that burdened him.  He called it his "thorn in the flesh."  He wanted relief, he prayed for relief, and yet relief had not come.  Did God not love him?  After all, he had given his life to God and was sharing God's salvation with everyone he met.  Was he not doing enough?

Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me.  But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 
Not everything we suffer in this world has a short duration.  But we can know that the love of God will remain with us not just through the w-zone but beyond.  That process is called faith and it is not something that is easy to develop.  It takes endurance with God's help.  (see Hebrews 11). 

But knowing that the power of Christ is made perfect in the times when we are weak, the times when we don't think we can make it through, is a promise that we, in Christ, have.

Because Jesus became weak, to the point of death on a cross, and God raised him up to a greater glory, he will also raise us up.

I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.  And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

1 comment:

  1. Great post as usual.

    Getting through a tough time when we know the exact time it will end takes more endurance than faith.

    Living (not just surviving) in a tough time when we have no clue when (or even if) it will end can't be accomplished just by sheer stamina. That's when real faith begins to expand and stretch and evidence in our lives.

    ReplyDelete