Tuesday, July 7, 2009

""Be watchful..."



Okay. So I decided that today would be the day that I ventured into the Revenue Office to license the van. One week into the month...middle of the day...should be in and out, right? Yeah, I know, I know.

So, I'm already anxious because I just don't like dealing with stuff I do not fully understand (like the Revenue Office - no offense Brenda). And, this trip is not cut and dry because I sold our Civic and need to get it off of our record.

My plan goes like clockwork: I walk in - no waiting (YES!). Saunter up to the Assessor - done (SWEET!). Take a number - called before I can sit down (WHO'S THE MAN!). Lay my offering of paperwork out on the mercy seat of "Tammy". Click click of the keyboard. Shuffle shuffle of the papers. Oh, the printer is firing up! I made it! I think I made it! Screeeeeeeeeech!--Red Light!

"Mr. Ashberry, I am not finding any record of the Honda."
"Huh?"
"This car is not in my database."
"Really?"
"Let me go check with my supervisor."

[While "Tammy" made a bee-line into her supervisor's office I paused to allow random thoughts of illegality to run rampant. See, this was my first private sale. I printed paperwork from some "official" website for the bill of sale, tried to navigate my way through signing the title upon transfer, yada yada. Have I messed this whole thing up!? All I could think now was that there is a poor young guy driving around in a Honda that he purchased illegally! He's going to get pulled over and arrested! And I am the fraudulent salesman!]

"Mr. Ashberry, you said the title was in your wife's name?"
"Yes, she has had the car since BEFORE WE WERE MARRIED." (threw that emphasis in there thinking they might let me go and nab Tressa - after all, it was HER car).
"What is her maiden name?" (Oh, wait a minute...)

Click click on the keyboard again...

"Here it is."

So anyway, got to thinking about this experience while driving away and knowing there had to be a lesson here somewhere.

In all of this process, even when "Tammy" was repeatedly saying that the Honda we had been driving and had registered for years did not exist, I kept my mouth shut, my patience in check, and my integrity intact. That was good...for Tammy, for me, and for anyone who might have been watching my example.

Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble. Proverbs 21:23
Who's watching you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment